Monday, December 17, 2012

Switch Rod 5wt set-up


                       I have noticed some two handed fisherman are looking for information on switch rod reels.  I’m going to offer some advice.  I’m by no way a pro but I think I can ease the learning curve a little!  Let’s talk about rods first I have two TFO Deer Creek Switch rods.  The 5wt switch rod that’s rated for 250-450 grains I have put a Mid Arbor 5 on it.  The lines I have on the reel are the SA Steelhead Master Series steelhead taper 7wt, and the other line is a Skagit Short 350 grain by RIO.  For the 5wt I have about 100 yards of backing on the reel.   This rod is used for warm water fishing.   I do not worry about exact balance with my outfits.  I throw tips ranging from T-8 3’ to T-14 4’ on this setup.  I have never had a capacity issue with this reel for this set up.  The main things to consider for sizing a reel for your rod for me at least are as follows:


a.       Size of lines weight forward, and Skagit.
b.      The amount of backing you desire on your reel.
c.       The fish you will be chasing with this setup.
d.      The length of tips you will be throwing.
These are the main factors for me.  When choosing a reel for a rod, and I hope this help a little bit.

Tom

No comments: