Saturday, May 12, 2012

Hoosier Daddy?

In light of my latest life issues I needed to recharge my soul. I needed to get out of the house.  

I want to extend a genuine thank you too Dave V. He let me tag along today on the creek. Our primary focus was on Mr . an Mrs. Smallmouth.  

I would bring my TFO 6wt with the fighting butt. I used a weight forward line and 6 foot leaders.  I would begin the morning with leeches for the opportunistic smallie!  The clarity on the creek was about 22" and the flow was wadeable.  I don't know much about this creek.  I do know one thing for sure it had a great mix of cobbles, rock, pea gravel, sand, and a little ledge rock mixed in.  This mix of topography makes for a unique experience.  So many anglers out there are simply missing a lot due to them not being able to read water.  We walked for about 2.5 mile along the Hoosier shore line.  The creek had about 20-28” of visibility and the flow was about 175 cf/s.  the water temperature was 56 in the am and 64 in the pm.  This would be my first time to fish the creek.  The overall depth ranged from 1’-9’ deep.  The wood that was scattered along the river bank was an added bonus. 

I did not care if I hooked anything, but it was nice to connect with several White bass and smallies!  Well enjoy the pictures.