Sunday, April 1, 2012

Albert Einstein once said “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” from brainyquote.com"

This day would prove him more right than I realized.  I finally got an ole friend to the river after three years of trying.  This man we will call him Steve has had some trying times, and I wanted to get him away from that for at least a day! 

He was late for our morning meeting at United Dairy Mart, but he had a late long night meeting!  lol We would finally meet up and drive to the Maddening River.  We would float about 7 miles of her today. 

I had two rods my TFO 5wt switch rod, and my custom Feathercast 6wt switch rod by Brian Althouse. 

We planted Steve’s car at the take-out, and proceeded up stream for the put-in.  We noticed a very bizarre ritual taking place in a tree “sorry no picture”.  People have been throwing their old wading boots into the tree.  Now I really don’t know why, but there are about a dozen sets of boots in the tree.  So after being memorized by this we met a very nice poacher at the put-in.  We did not see him poaching, but his stories were poacheresce.  Well Steve got ready at the starting point, but he really looked like he wanted to RALPH!  He was a huge trooper today. 

 I rigged up my TFO with 4 feet of T11 with an olive leech tube fly about 4 inches long.  I rigged my custom rod with a 4 feet section of T14 with a 5” olive sculpinzilla.  The river was on the low side.  I wish there was about 12 inches more water in her today.  Steve and I made the best of it. 

I saw Hendrickson’s hatching at 2ish, and caddis hatching at about noonish.  The rivers wildlife was nice to see.  We saw lots of traces of beavers, and more fat red squirrels than you can imagine.  The water was cool like in her 40’s.  She had mediocre color in the holes of 4 feet and deeper.  I saw in 7 miles only a handful of fish.  I saw lots of suckers and carp.  I did get to witness one juvenile Blue Heron fall off a log.  He was not happy at all!  No fish hooked by me, but Steve got one on a dry fly!  Still a great day to be out and the blue bird skies were not a welcomed thing!

O gosh it hurts too move!


A great tool that everyone who floats should have a handheld GPS unit!

The drainage ditch that hold some nice trout.



Dont be the bottle


Steve you made it!

Wow!