Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Grain Weight, Rod Weight who is confused!

Well to tell you the truth the entire two handed rod industry could not have made us more confused.  Why do they sell switch rods with a line rating on them?  Does anyone own a switch rod that is a 6wt that is strapped with a 6 weight line?  I really doubt it due to the fact a switch rod or a two hander needs to be rated in grain weight only.  For those even more confused by this let me explain. I own two TFO switch rods one 5wt rated from 250-450 grains, and an 8wt that’s rated for a grain weight window of 400-600 grains.  I don’t have a grain scale yet, but I do know it takes a SA Mater Series steelhead Taper in a 7 weight (for the 5wt) and a 10 weight (for the 8wt) to load the rod correctly.  So how in the hell can you load a rod correctly with a 5 weight or 8 weight lines?  You simply can’t load the rods correctly by line weight alone.  I just feel the industry has missed the bus again and has a lot of us confused, and some people are just afraid it’s too difficult to line a rod properly.  Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to help someone!


Tom

1 comment:

Gary Thompson said...

As a general rule of thumb, when considering using a single handed line (such as an SA mastery series steelhead) on a two handed rod, you need to go up two line sizes from the line rating on the two handed rod. For example, 5 wght. rod, use seven weight line. Another rule that has worked pretty well for me, once i determine the Skagit head that fits my rod, if i want a floating head, such as a scandi, i back the weight off by 30 grains when selecting that head. These rules keep me out of trouble most of the time, unless i need to adjust my D-loop size due to limited back casting room. Then I have to start cutting up lines for fine tuning.