Saturday, February 5, 2011

Genuine Teacher

I attended the annual Buckeye United Fly Fishers show today. I like attending this show helping others find out more about the sport! I saw some old friends, and met some new ones! I often just watch people at these venues. I would find myself tying flies next to Michael Schmidt of Anglers Choice Flies ( www.anglerschoiceflies.com ). I watched him interact with people and today I saw what this sport is missing. I have not been around him in a setting like a fly fishing show before so this was a reel treat. I watched and listened to him teach people how to tye his masterful flies and actually help people become better fly tyers. He gave away a few flies today that would cost about 50 dollars. He gave them away so people could try to tye the fly themselves! People flocked to watch him tye his flies. Great speaker when he talked to the small group of people around his tying table. It was nice to watch this type of genuine humanism of tying flies. Keep up the great work Mike.


Tom



My play area!


Just me winding down from the day!