Monday, January 17, 2011

Cutting Into the Learning Curve

My great grandfather a World War I Marine told me when I was young to be successful at anything takes practice. Well he was so right and today was time to practice some more! I strung up my Redington CPx 13’9” spey and coupled with my TFO 400-600 grain (8wt) Skagit set up. The full spey has a RIO Skagit Flight SHD 675 grain head with a 13’6” section of T14 (189 grains). The Switch rod had a Sa Supra Skagit 500 grains and with that a tip of 8ft of T11 (88 grains). I would get dressed and head to the river not to catch fish but to cast. I’m an average caster when it comes to the river going from left to right, but it’s a whole different story when the river is coming from right to left! I really saw this when I took my trip to Michigan late last year. I would grasp my full spey rod first and begin to figure out some things! The head on the Skagit Flight is 28 ft. I would try in reverse do a double spey but my brain could not grasp the reverse reality! I thought about it sat in the snow for a minute. I realized I had to get my anchor just in front of my downstream leg and with a good D-loop slightly over my shoulder get the desired cast! I will walk you through this. I would roll cast out my anchor and all of the Flight Head except for the last 4 ft. This at least for me would be my sweet spot with the current grain load on the rod. With both hands pointing downstream and my wrists in a cross I would have the first position. The next position would be to lift all the line out of the water keeping the rod at about a 10 degree angle in front of me but going up stream. I would keep rotating the rod across my body until all the head would clear the water minus the anchor. I would want the anchor to be perpendicular to my left leg. I would then keep the line off the water except for the anchor rotating my wrists back to position one, but once the anchor passes my left leg “and my shoulder and elbow” and getting a deep D-Loop I would then cast the rod. The slower I went with this casting stroke the more line I shot. I did this with the TFO also both rods casted splendidly. Spey caster beware you will hook yourself easily if you are not careful due to the body position vs. the anchor! Good luck and I’m sure I have confused someone!