Sunday, October 31, 2010

Mishing Fichigan Part 2

Mark and I would head out to fish Michigan from October 23-30. We braved the Storm of the Century, and caught fish during this adverse time! This will be to give a detail account of each day. We arrived at Ivan’s Camp Ground in Baldwin, Michigan on Saturday October 23.  Ivan’s Camp Ground can be found here http://www.ivanscanoe.com.  We would go scout the access for floating the Muskegon (Mo).  The stretch we would float would be from the Croton Dam access and float down to the High rollaway access. These access points can be found on the web on http://www.hesslakerentals.com/Muskegon_River_Public_Launc.html  this web site is very informative, and will set you straight on where to put in and take out. Mark and I would both catch numerous Brown Trout and Rainbow Trout.  The fish would range from 10”-16” and we would be forced do egging to catch these fish!  I don’t like egging, but that would be the difference today and I was going to try to not get another old goose egg! There is more to life than just catching fish, but sometimes you need to rewrite history!  The adventure of taking our pontoons down the MO for the first time without an incident was my main priority. The Flow of the MO was 1170 cf/s (cubic feet a second). This would be good for my standards for the flow, and for anyone fishing this body of water you would need to come up with your own comfort level before using any cf/s. I used my eggbeater “spin rod” and caught trout. I swung flies with the spey rod half of the day having no takers, one grab, and no tugs! I used a Redington CPX 13’-9” Spey rod in search of MYkiss!  I used tips ranging from 10’ tip of T-11 to a 13’ tip of T-14. I never lost a fly doing this on the MO that day! The grab came unbuttoned as soon as I knew he/she was hooked! I should have been circle hooks! The river through this section is mainly a free stone stream in my opinion. We saw so many green kings it was scary for this time of year. As we talked with so many anglers during the week the anglers would comment on how late the runs where.  I thought great wonderful nothing like having the deck stacked against you! More of a challenge that way I thought! Give it your shot Michigan I thought to myself! This float calculated by me and my Garmin GPS Map Source software was 5.7 miles, and I uploaded my GPS unit my trusty https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=310. Mother Nature blew most of her load with the fall colors by the time we arrived. The MO’s gradient here was steep, and people must use caution when wading her!  This makes wading very tricky in some spots!  I hope you enjoy the pictures!

Croton Launch Photo by Mark Lowden


Croton Dam


Poopin Mink!





Mark

Awesome Engineering!


Photo by Mark Lowden


Photo by Mark Lowden

Photo by Mark Lowden


Photo by Mark Lowden

Photo by Mark Lowden

Photo by Mark Lowden


Photo by Mark Lowden


Photo by Mark Lowden

Photo by Mark Lowden

Photo by Mark Lowden

Photo by Mark Lowden

Photo by Mark Lowden

Photo by Mark Lowden

Photo by Mark Lowden

Photo by Mark Lowden

Photo by Mark Lowden

Photo by Mark Lowden