Sunday, December 27, 2009

Brown Trout On The Swing!







So many things contributed for me to go fish the Mad River today! We got a lot of rain over the past week! Ohio got so much rain that almost every fishable piece of water was unfishable in a 3-4 day span of time. I took my tube flies and my friend and we went to fish the maddening river! No bobbers where used by me today "shocker", and no lead was used by me either! This river has driven me to drink. This river as far as technical fly fishing goes in Ohio this is number one! We would hook up with about 20 browns the largest being hooked by me would spit the hook due to me smoking a cigar with my wrong hand! This would pose a costly mistake. He or she would have been at least 20” plus brown trout. O well this is why I love to swing flies with a switch rod such a new challenge. I would break out the 5wt Deer Creek switch rod by TFO. This time my switch rod would be loaded with 350 grain Skagit and a 6.6’ of T-8. The flows where med-high high flows! These conditions would turn out to be perfect for fishing sculpin style tubes in olive! The air temp was in the mid to upper 30’s and the water temp was about the same! Well folks take care and enjoy the pics! Fishing is not over with yet! Thanks Lou you have made me fall back in love with her yet once again!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you guys hooked 20 browns on the mad in December on streamers. What color is the sky on your planet?

Anonymous said...

Is that a picture of the Mad river on top? Can you throw worms and minners with a switch rod, or does it just switch between spinners? Can you give directions to a good hole as well, and what recipes you like to use for cooking trout. I've never caught a trout, but the ones we get from walmart are pretty good.

gribble said...

Mr. Anonymous #1 Well that day we never saw the sky actually! But the sky only has color due to the oceans! We did infact hook that many my friend so take care and happy holiday!

Mr. Anonymous #2 youy seem pretty witty today. Well the switch rod only throws Michigain crickets with a bare hook! Seriously it can be casted single hand or double handed that being the meaning of the workd "Switch"! You will have to find your own hole..lol! You will feel so much better when you catch one of your own, but maybe Walmart is as good as it gets for you!

Take care Gents!

Anonymous said...

1 for 20. Those were snags or you guys really suck.

Toodles

gribble said...

..lol... we stink at catching but are great at fishing ..lol..

lou said...

to #1, I didnt go 1 for 20, I went 8 for 12, with several other pulls, tom landed a few and lost a few as well, and yes one of them was a really good fish. it was a good day, but not an amazing one. if you would like some tips I may be willing but it sounds like you have it down pat already.

Anonymous said...

You guys sound like pinners. "I went 14 for 59 on skein"
http://www.lollercopter.com/copters/lollercopterwave.gif

gribble said...

lol... I'm going to fix this...lol...