Saturday, November 28, 2009

Wrong Weather Report, Great Company, Fishless, Great Water Conditions








Well I hope everyone who has read my blog to date had a good Thanksgiving holiday. We are driving back from a fishless adventure. I'am fine with being fishless due to the fact there are more important things going on while you're fishing than just catching fish. Take for instance fishing with friends and catching up with you and reconnecting with there lives and the good the bad and of course the ugly. We arrived in New York on Friday at 0530 and suited up. We would arrive on the spit of sand awaiting daylight and mind you this was on Friday. Walking downstream we saw several head lamps turn like a warning to a plane where not to land. I laughed with my buddy Andrew that they see us walking down and afraid we would crowd them. I'am not that type of guy who gets close enough to smell your wader stew! I would begin to fish tubes all day and swing flies. I would be fishing my Deer Creek 8wt Switch rod loaded with the SA Compact Skagit 550 grain. The tip of choice would be a 6ft section of T14. The flows of this Lake Ontario tributary was awesome moderate to high flow depending on what part of the river you where standing in. No fish would be hooked in this first section of the river. We would press on farther up stream to a much more popular fishing hole to find only two people standing there. We crossed the river only having to recross the river due to the flows to actually get safely to the other side of the hole. I would yet again have ample room to swing more flies. I was using colors such as chartreuse over yellow, chartreuse over orange, yellow over orange, and grey over white with a mallard flank collar. All tubes would be tyed on plastic tubes except for the grey over white. The grey over white is on an Eumer tube in silver. This tube would give me one head shaker and that would be my only action of the day. The weather was bright and not very nice for a steelhead outing. The water was very cool probly in the forties. We would take yet another drive to go find new water and hopefully some fish. The fishing in the first tributary in years past has fallen off dramatically and in my opinion it cause less people to show up so it is a win win situation. For the most part it was a great trip to spend with Andrew. I did get some great landscape shots. Please enjoy your stay.

Cheers,
Tom G.

PS I will post the pics when I get back to Cincinnati

No comments: