Saturday, July 4, 2009

Swinging Flies







By Tom Gribble



There was a time when this tactic was as popular as fishing with worms and a bobber. I have only been fishing with a switch rod for about 6 months now. I have noticed most of my trout streams down here in Southwest Ohio are being overrun with agricultural runoff problems. This is killing the bug life, and needs to be addressed. I know farmers are some type of sacred cow, but how can they continue their practices with such reckless abandon? Just because they don’t live down stream of their pollution, and they don’t see it why does that make it ok? Why when a person lets there raw untreated sewage flows directly into the creek or river the landowner gets fined and the local EPA has them fix the problem. The farmer gets what fines, and who regulates them? From what I can tell the farmers are not regulated on what and how much they can discharge into a body of water. Back to my original point sorry for the rant. An underwater moss is slowing down the emergence of nymphs to the surface, and thus a lot of hatches are being affected. The best way to cover such waters to find actively feeding trout is to swing flies. I’m going to be purchasing a new switch rod 5 weight to chase trout and several other species. I have been monkeying around with a few soft hackle patterns. I hope you enjoy the flies I have tied. These patterns are tied on size 16 Tiemco Dry Fly hooks #101.