Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Steelhead Swinger











The following tube fly is tied by Nick Pionessa of the Oak Orchard Fly Shop in New York "he does a better job of tying this pattern than I do obviously". I have added a red throat to it. I thought I would share this pattern due to the warm water species that I will be targeting with it. Nick calls it the “Steelhead Swinger”. With the dumb-bell eyes it will sink like a rock. The tube is 7/8” long, and can be made from just a plastic tube, or a metal tube. I used the old prismatic holographic eyes made by Metz. The body can be anything you feel like placing on the tube for cover. The spine can be rabbit of any color. The belly is just folded schlappen. The red throat is placed between the tube and the schlappen or between the rabbit strip and the tube. The Oak Orchard Fly shop has several other patterns for the Great Lakes Basin that are on their website at http://oakorchardflies.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Enjoy,

Tom G.

No comments: