Saturday, April 4, 2009


























The Calm before the Storm

I took the entire day off work on Wednesday to head to the north shores of Ohio. The weather was well not great for fishing but ideal for driving. Bluebird skies would accompany me from Cincinnati to Pierpont, Ohio. I would almost throw all of my gear into my great friend’s garage to get to the river for a few hours of fishing. The area the day before had a significant amount of rain as I could see water standing in farm fields. I would get to the river edge and see her trying to clear her plate for me. The river had 18-24 inches of visibility and was trying to turn green. The flow was moderate and still very fishable. I would swing all night “boy that sounds funny”. I tried several patterns, several lengths and several tips from T8 to T11. I practiced still getting the swinging fly technique correct. I also realized I had to change up from river coming from my left to the river coming from my right. That was a challenge to figure that out. This outing will be my second to last for steelhead fishing in Ohio. Pretty soon there will be fish galore on gravel, and I will not be a gravel-raker “we have all seen the one person(s) trying to catch the fish that is actively spawning”. No we do not have a self sustaining steelhead fishery, but I choose not to do it. I would go on to catch several suckers! Some of these fish where common river suckers, and Red Horse suckers. The Red Horse suckers at least in the Great Lakes Basin are the first signal to the experienced steelhead fisherman that the season is winding down. I saw several steelhead trying to jump the obstruction I was fishing. I wish now I would have taken a picture of them! The rains followed on Friday afternoon and put about 2.25 inches of rain in the watershed and gave the Great Lakes River Basin a big flush! I canceled fishing for Saturday and drove home today. Well the next time I fish I will be looking for fat chicks running in the Ohio River Basin.

Take care all,

Tom G.

2 comments:

Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JimatFFO said...

Nice post Tom,
I like the 'fishing for fat chicks' reference. First full moon, I'm down fo da Wypuhs bruddah. Hopefully, there won't be freakin snow squalls.
-Jim